IVF Process: Step by step
The procedure of IVF involves multiple steps that are outlined during consultation and the initial stages of the treatment and a protocol is set. On a general basis, experts from top Test Tube baby centers in India state that such protocols mostly contain the following steps:
- Stimulation: The patients are given stimulants and medications that stimulate the ovaries and trigger the production of ample amount of eggs.
- Retrieval of Eggs: Once the eggs have been produced sufficiently, a considerable amount of them are extracted by the doctor in the clinic and sent for analysis and examination. The healthiest eggs are chosen for the treatment. Thereafter, they are placed in a special culture medium that mimics the inner conditions of the body after which they are used for the treatment or frozen as per the protocol.
- Retrieval of Sperms: Sperms are also extracted from the male patient. This is usually carried out some hours before fertilization. After extraction, the sperms are placed in a culture medium mimicking the conditions inside the body of the patient.
- Fertilization: The extracted eggs and sperms are placed in the same medium and allowed to fuse together. Once the fusion occurs, the resultant embryos are tested (PGD) for any abnormalities and approved for transfer.
- Embryo Transfer: The embryos that have formed well and have passed the PGD (Pre-implantation Diagnosis) test are allowed to stay in the culture medium and develop up to the blastocyst stage. The healthiest of blastocysts are carefully placed inside the mother’s uterus to initiate pregnancy, state several IVF specialists.
- Implantation: Once a healthy embryo has been placed inside the uterus, it implants itself onto the uterine wall or endometrium and starts to grow. This process results in pregnancy.
Follows us :
Not everyone knows what an ectopic pregnancy is and what causes it, but there are many women who suffer from it throughout their lives. What is an ectopic pregnancy? What causes an ectopic pregnancy? What are the symptoms and signs of ectopic pregnancy? What are the different types of ectopic pregnancy? What are the methods...Read More
In this modern era, we like to plan most of our things as much as possible. It is important that couples plan pregnancy with proper preconception care and counselling which will optimize both maternal and fetal outcome. It should include informed choice, which help them to understand health issues that may affect conception and pregnancy...Read More