IVF Process: Step by step
The procedure of IVF involves multiple steps that are outlined during consultation and the initial stages of the treatment and a protocol is set. On a general basis, experts from top Test Tube baby centers in India state that such protocols mostly contain the following steps:
- Stimulation: The patients are given stimulants and medications that stimulate the ovaries and trigger the production of ample amount of eggs.
- Retrieval of Eggs: Once the eggs have been produced sufficiently, a considerable amount of them are extracted by the doctor in the clinic and sent for analysis and examination. The healthiest eggs are chosen for the treatment. Thereafter, they are placed in a special culture medium that mimics the inner conditions of the body after which they are used for the treatment or frozen as per the protocol.
- Retrieval of Sperms: Sperms are also extracted from the male patient. This is usually carried out some hours before fertilization. After extraction, the sperms are placed in a culture medium mimicking the conditions inside the body of the patient.
- Fertilization: The extracted eggs and sperms are placed in the same medium and allowed to fuse together. Once the fusion occurs, the resultant embryos are tested (PGD) for any abnormalities and approved for transfer.
- Embryo Transfer: The embryos that have formed well and have passed the PGD (Pre-implantation Diagnosis) test are allowed to stay in the culture medium and develop up to the blastocyst stage. The healthiest of blastocysts are carefully placed inside the mother’s uterus to initiate pregnancy, state several IVF specialists.
- Implantation: Once a healthy embryo has been placed inside the uterus, it implants itself onto the uterine wall or endometrium and starts to grow. This process results in pregnancy.
12 September, 2018
A Doctor may recommend hysteroscopy as a part of your infertility workup, because the cervix, the endocervical canal, the uterine cavity and the fallopian tubes should be evaluated to look for any possible cause of infertility. Also, if a woman...Read more
11 September, 2018
Menopause signifies that time in a woman’s life when she stops menstruating. With the cessation of periods, a woman may go into depression because due to unpredictable fluctuations in hormone levels she may undergo stress, ageing, infertility and other health...Read more
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a very clinical subject and most people......Read more